This blog is now powered by RabbitFish!
Feb 10, 2012

A few months ago I made some major changes to this blog. One of the obvious changes was the new design, based on Twitter Bootstrap, but in addition to that I also converted the blog from a Django site to a static site. At that point, all I actually did was scrape the site to static files using wget and throw them up on the server to be hosted with Nginx, but I've now taken that a step further.

For the past three months I've been working on a personal project named RabbitFish. It's a static site generator built on Python 3 that uses Jinja2 templates and YAML for storing configuration and content data. This blog is now powered by RabbitFish.

Largely because of the technical constraints of the still very immature state of RabbitFish, I've also made a few changes to the structure of the blog. Probably the most obvious is that I've gotten rid of the tag cloud that used to be in the right-hand sidebar. In addition, I've actually completely removed the tag system altogether. Of course, you'll notice that all the old posts, and this one as well, still have tags, but rather than being part of an actual tagging system, they're now basically just shortcuts for searching the blog; if you click on one, you'll see that it just takes you to the Google Custom Search for my blog with that tag filled in as the search query. Additionally, I've removed pretty much any way of navigating around the blog. Taking a page from Apple, I've decided to rely solely on search for finding blog posts. To ensure that all the posts get properly indexed, of course, I've also added a page that simply lists all the blog posts. (It's also linked to at the bottom of the index page.) Most of my traffic was organic search hits anyway, so I don't really see this causing any problems.

The one thing that I still have left to do is get syndication set up. Currently, the feed for everything prior to this post is still available thanks to FeedBurner, but I still need to set up a new, live feed to get new posts in there. Fortunately, that will be as easy as setting up a new ListPage in RabbitFish, and writing a template to build the appropriate XML file. I'll probably get that done this weekend.

Since I was already using Disqus for comments, all the old comments are already here and new comments shouldn't be a problem. I'm realy interested to hear what people think about RabbitFish, as well as the minimal interface I'm exposing for the blog now.

RabbitFish: https://github.com/joshourisman/rabbitfish

blog comments powered by Disqus